Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Lot Of Catch Up!

So I have SEVERAL projects to really blog about! So I'll just do a quick show and tell of a few of the projects now and maybe do a more in depth blog for some of these projects later!



This is my little brother's birthday cake. He said he wanted a chocolate fudge caramel cake. I used the most dense chocolate cake recipe I had and then filled in between the layers with homemade caramel... but I cooked the caramel to the hard ball stage in the cooking process, so it wasn't soft like I'd hope. Cutting into it was a chore! But I'm told it was pretty good in spite of the hard toffee... Next time I'll try not to over cook the toffee though!! Living and learning...


This was a strawberry-citrus cake. I adapted a butter pound cake recipe that I love to use for this cake. I added zest from lemons, limes and oranges. Then I smothered the cake in a citrus glaze and topped it with strawberries!! I think fruits are the best decorations. This cake was very refreshing and possibly my most favorite cake! It was also very sweet because of the glaze, so a sweet tooth may be required on this one!




I designed this wedding cake for my friend's, Bryant and Liz. It was sooo much fun to work on. I painted the scroll work on with piping gel and a stencil I created based on some sample pictures Liz showed me.




Over 15 hours!!! I got VERY involved with this cake. I did a sample cake for my neices so I thought I had a pretty good idea of how long this would take... the sample cake I did for my neices was about 1/3 the size of this cake and did not have 1/2 the decorations... a fact I did not factor in when I started this cake! LoL It is a rice krispies treat base (made with strawberry marshmellows and Cupcake Pebbles Cereal) and then I hand painted the towers (plastic pieces from a castle cake kit) with piping gel, and rolled them in sugar A similar method was used for the tower tops, only I used regular icing to coat the tops and then rolled them in sugar crystal sprinkles. The windows and the draw bridge were also in the cake kit, and I piped the decorations on those. Turned out pretty good though!



This cake is probably my most favorite cake I've ever made and I will definitely have a separate blog with this cake! This is the groom's cake for my dearest cousin, Jenn's, wedding. It was the most fun I've ever had designing and building a cake! And with how many prayers of mine were answered in assembling this cake, I'm not sure I can take all the credit for it!
I'm just so happy it turned out well and I didn't end up in a chocolate coma. I was chewing a LOT of gum to keep from "sampling" the cake!!! My kitchen was so heavily perfumed you could practically SEE the chocolate floating through the air... Heavenly... well, heavenly torture actually. But so much fun to make, in spite of the chocolate temptation!

More to come later, but hopefully not TOO much later!
~tinu

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea you did this. freaking awesome!!! I may have to have you make one for me sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on here SOO much lately... NOT! ;) I just saw your comment and I would LOVE to make a cake for you! Tell me when and where! I am finally busting out my cake pans and piping tips after about a year and a half of having them packed away.

      Delete