Sunday, March 7, 2010

Dad's Birthday Cake!

My family celebrated my dad's birthday last week and I got to make the cake!
I make a Chocolate Butter Cake with a thick Milk Chocolate Buttercream.

4 lbs of chocolate went into the frosting. 3 lbs of milk chocolate and then to keep it from being too sweet, I added 1 lb of dark chocolate. Then butter to soften it into a frosting texture. Next time I may use a heavy cream to help soften the chocolate as well.

I melted the chocolate down in a metal bowl set over top of a pot of boiling water. The smell in my kitchen was enough to put you into a chocolate coma... It smelled divine... I had to keep chewing gum to keep myself from taste testing.

The chocolate was so pretty!

This was the cake, pre-frosting.
I may go a bit lighter on the frosting next time.

I used a small decorative scraper to put a decorative side on the cake.


I used a star tip to pipe the edge around the top and bottom of the cake.

And then I was having so much fun and I had some frosting left over, so I did a few more rows around the top. The buttercream got kinda melted so the last two rows looked less like the star tip and more like Hershey's Kisses.

Here is the cake, complete with candles.
A shot of the cross section of the cake.

Plated with icecream. I was told that it was also good with a little milk poured over it.

I'll have to make this again next year when I can try it!
~tinu

1 comment: